Two Cases Of The Zika Virus Have been Confirmed In The State Of New Jersey According to Dr. Sergio Cortes
It is happening. The Zika virus is working its way into the United States, and there is very little anyone can do to stop it. America’s neighbors in the Caribbean are in the middle of a severe Zika virus outbreak, and Puerto Rico, a U.S. Commonwealth, is on the verge of a serious outbreak. The Aedes aegypti mosquito does make its home in Florida as well as in other gulf coast states, so the chances that the U.S. will dodge the Zika virus bullet are not even slim-to-none. The virus is already in the States. New Jersey just reported two cases and Illinois, Texas, Hawaii and Florida have reported cases. The virus will continue to rack up victims all summer long, according to Brazilian Doctor Sergio.
Dr. Cortes knows how quickly the virus can spread. There are millions of infected people in Brazil, but some of them don’t know they are infected. Only 80 percent of the people with the Zika virus show symptoms. The other 20 percent have the virus, but there are no visible signs of the infection, according to a post on the Dr. Cortes official website.
The first case of Zika turned up in Dallas in February. That case was special because the infected woman wasn’t bitten by the Aedes aegypti mosquito. He husband returned from a trip to South America and he transmitted the virus to her during sexual contact. The Dallas case was the first case in The U.S. that adds credence to the assumption that Zika can be spread by human contact.
Researchers now know that the virus stays in the urine, semen, and salvia of infected individuals. How long it stays in those fluids is still a mystery. The symptoms of Zika only last from three to seven days, but according to a Dr. Cortes tweet, the virus could linger in the human body much longer than a week.
Even though the initial symptoms of Zika are considered mild by most medical experts there is a chance pregnant women are at risk for a condition known as microcephaly. Microcephaly causes brain malformation and other physical issues in infants. There is no evidence to prove the Zika virus causes that infant disease, but researchers now know that the virus can stay in the amniotic fluid, and it infiltrates the brains of some fetuses. Dr. Cortes posts new microcephaly info on his LinkedIn page.
On the Cortes Facebook page, there are comments about the spread of the virus, as well as new information about a vaccine that could protect people from Zika. Scientists are trying to develop a quick vaccine for the virus, but vaccines take time to develop. But by the time a Zika vaccine is ready, there’s a good chance the virus will be gone.